Monday, July 13, 2009

Congrats to Ryan Seacrest

If I haven't told you this before I like Ryan Seacrest and here is why. The man works like 10 jobs and to me that is straight up hustler status. He seems like a cool dude and seems to have his priorities in check. He has fun at his job and for what I know lives a clean lifestyle. He just signed a huge deal which means he knows what he is worth and I like that in a person. He seems like he is logical and can get things done. I am a fan.

In other non Ryan Seacrest related news Portland State Housing is one of, if not, the most unique systems ever. Here is an example. Portland State has a Living and Learning Community - Global Village. It's a pretty successful LLC and has been growing in numbers every year. Now the residential student population here at PSU varies from your traditional first-year student to 60 plus year old residents and families. I have never seen more contrast in student population. These populations not only are in the same residence hall system, but some of them live in the same residence halls and floors. There is no definitive non-traditional housing.

I am a member of the Global Village Committee this summer and we have been reviewing applicants for this upcoming year's Global Village. An issue we are running into is that as great as it would be to have non-traditional students perspectives and life experiences in this community how can you place a first-year student with someone who is older than their parents. It's an issue obviously. I think it is extremely cool that non-traditional students would be interested in this type of living experience, but at the same time it seems pretty hard to place an 18-year-old with someone three times their age and not expect roommate issues. With the push for non-traditional students to come back to higher education maybe there is a need to have non-traditional living and learning communities. Maybe we have overlooked the fact that just because they are non-traditional students that does not mean they don't want or need the same services provided to traditional students. It's something to think about.

Last night I went to eat veggie hot dogs at this place Zach's Shack. It seemed like a pretty relaxed place to grab some food and suds. It was a bit dead but then again it was a rainy Sunday. I have two full weeks of work left here in Portland. If anyone knows anything about shipping items across the country let me know. What is the cheapest way?

Also I am looking for a patchwork duvet cover for my full down comforter. Let me know if you know where to score one.

No comments:

Post a Comment